Monday, January 9, 2012

It's so fluffy I am gonna die!


Yes, "it's so fluffy I am gonna die" (a quote from Agnes in Despicable Me)!!!!


I was just looking at my recent Hawaii photos and came upon the malasadas photos and a light bulb came on. I must share these creations with you!

For malasada virgins, malasadas look like hole-less doughnuts/donuts but they by far kill any Krispy Kreme and Tim Hortons' donuts that I have ever had. One bite into one and you will know what I mean. It has a perfectly fried golden shell that protects the fluffy and soft dough inside. I also found it very light - light weight and does not feel artery clogging.

According to wikipedia, malasadas originated in Portugal and is served on Fat Tuesday or Mardi Gras.
Since Europe is over 8 hours away, I got my fix at Leonard's Bakery in Honolulu. Leonard's is not in the main touristy areas so you may not find it on your hand out map from the hotels. If you want to try one, you can rent a car and drive to 933 Kapahulu Avenue across from Crane Park. Alternatively, you can easily walk there. If you can locate the Honolulu Zoo which is by the corner of Kapahulu Ave and Ala Wai Blvd, walk along Kapahulu (away from the beach) for about 10 minutes and Leonard's will be on your right. It's a one story white building with pink and white stripe awning on it.

Leonard's offers the original which is sugar coated or plain for $.90 each. If you fancy something more, you can get malasada puffs which is a original malasada with fillings (custard,chocolate, coconut or flavour of the month) for $1.25. I don't like anything to ruin the melt-in-your-mouth texture so I always opt for the original.

Don't wait, go have some now!!! You won't regret it. :)



Don't mind the store appearance. It's what's inside that counts, not the exterior!


Two un-touched malasadas. Drools!



My bf took a LARGE first bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your kind words. I always visit and comment back. And if you would like to follow, I would love to keep in touch. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Lane Crawford - US